For solaris, just use the standard automounter config in auto_home:
*  /export/home/&

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Lukas Slebodnik <lsleb...@redhat.com>
Date: 06/03/2015  02:29  (GMT-05:00)
To: netv...@gmail.com
Cc: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] How to handle users with multiple homedirs on different machines?

On (02/06/15 17:07), swartz wrote:
I have a environment that spans across multiple physical locations where
there is a mix of Linux and Solaris workstations/servers. So far we've been
managing accounts (/etc/password) via Puppet.

Problem: FreeIPA allows to store only one homedir path.
Q: Is there a way to store/set a different home path based on the system
that the user is logged into?

sssd configuration is quite flexible in this way.
You can override homedir with configuration option
man sssd.conf -> "override_homedir"

However sssd is available just on linux (or FreeBSD)
I'm not sure which clients do you use on Solaris or other
old system, maybe there is a way how to override homedir as well.
Or you can configure home directory attribute to the non-existing
attribute in FreeIPA and use some fallback (if possible)

As an example, I have user Bob.
On a Linux box Bob has homedir at /home/b/bob
                                         ^
                                Unfortunatelly, there's no way how to say
                                sssd to use just first letter from name.
On a Solaris this is likely /export/home/bob
While on some other odd system it could be /mnt/nas/users/bob
Different "prefix" for homedir "/export/home", "/home", "/mnt/nas/users"
could be addresed with the option homedir_substring in sssd conf.
https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1853

So you could store "%H" in ldap attribute,
but clients need to understand such value.
(sssd >= 1.11.6). I'm not sure about other clients.

LS