On 07/20/2015 07:56 AM, Christopher Lamb wrote:
Hi Rob

The users do have the sambaSamAccount ObjectClass.

Or to be more precise, some have sambasamaccount (all lower case), and some
have sambaSAMAccount (mixed case)

Are objectclasses case sensitive?

No, unless there is a bug in the objectclass matching/comparison code.

Chris

From:   Rob Crittenden <rcrit...@redhat.com>
To:     Christopher Lamb/Switzerland/IBM@IBMCH, Alexander Bokovoy
             <aboko...@redhat.com>
Cc:     freeipa-users@redhat.com
Date:   20.07.2015 15:47
Subject:        Re: [Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and sambaPwdLastSet

Christopher Lamb wrote:
Hi Alexander

This issue got overtaken by others, and slipped off my radar for a bit...

While the solution suggested earlier in this thread at

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Integrating_a_Samba_File_Server_With_IPA
sounds interesting (and we are running the correct versions of OEL 7.1
and
SSSD), it seems to require the Windows clients to be members of an Active
Diretory trusted by IPA.

Unfortunately there is no AD in our architecture - our Windows and OSX
clients are effectively islands. That would seem to leave us stuck with
sambaPwdLastSet.

After a user has had his password reset via the IPA WebUi to a temporary
value, the user then logs on using the temporary password, and is asked
enter a new password. At his point sambaPwdLastSet should be set to a
positive value. However our testing indicates that it is not. We have
tried
3 techniques:

1) User connects to LDAP server via remote ssh.

2) kinit <user>

3) su - <user> over an existing ssh session with another user (e.g. mine)

In all three cases the user is able to set their password, but
sambaPwdLastSet remains set to 0.

As a workaround we use Apache Directory Studio to manually set
sambaPwdLastSet once the user has changed his password.

Chris
AFAICT the user needs the sambaSamAccount objectclass in order for this
to work. Is that the case?