Christopher Lamb wrote:

Hi

In order to better assist on another thread in this list, I installed
FreeIPA Server in a throwaway VM.

Unfortunately the FreeIPA Server Install repeatedly fails with:

Configuration of client side components failed!
ipa-client-install returned: Command ''/usr/sbin/ipa-client-install'
'--on-master' '--unattended' '--domain' 'my.silly.example.com' '--server'
'tst-ldap.my.silly.example.com' '--realm' 'MY.SILLY.EXAMPLE.COM'
'--hostname' 'tst-ldap.my.silly.example.com'' returned non-zero exit status
1
[root@tst-ldap etc]#

This is on a newly setup OEL 7.1 VM, in a VirtualBox VM hosted on OSX
10.10.5.

Googling shows similar errors on second install of FreeIPA Server. I get it
on first install. (I roll-backed the VM after every failed attempt).

Some points that may or may not be relevant:

1) ipa --version
VERSION: 4.1.0, API_VERSION: 2.112

2) Part way through the install I get “WARNING: Your system is running out
of entropy, you may experience long delays”

2) I have a Fedora repository enabled…

3) The domain I used “my.silly.example.com” is a "Mickey Mouse" domain, not
resolvable to anything real via DNS, but is part of the fully qualified
hostname of the vm.

4) The only obvious “ERROR” I can find is in the ipaclient-install.log
ERROR Cannot connect to the server due to generic error: cannot connect to
'https://tst-ldap.my.silly.example.com/ipa/json': Internal Server Error

Looks like that is the cause of the install failure. You can find details on that in /var/log/httpd/error_log. That is where I'd start looking.