Thanks Alexander,

I tried the help but there were only two choices. Specify a password interactively --password, or randomly generate one with --random. I agree with you the errors in the output are expected I was just hoping for some undocumented magic.

Piping the output from cat into the password prompt is a great idea and does fix the issue I was having. It's not really intuitive but still makes me wonder why I didn't think of that.

Anyhow I changed it up a bit with
echo testpw | ipa user-add username --first=firstname --last=lastname --password --gidnumber=0000 --noprivate --shell=/bin/bash

And it totally works.

Thank you again.

-Chris