On 9/11/2015 10:32 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 10:25 -0700, nat...@nathanpeters.com wrote:
I have been trying to figure this out for a while now but when I join
machine to FreeIPA, the installer properly creates forward DNS
entries,and DNSSSHFP entries, but does not create reverse entries.
Without the PTR records, kerberos logins are always failing on these
machines.
I am interested in understanding what fails exactly, stuff should not
depend on reverse resolution can you give me an example of a failure ?

For the PTR creation anyway have you enabled the option to allow setting
PTR records ?
There is a global DNS option (As awell as per-zone setting) called
"Allow PTR Sync" you may want to enable.

When we attempt to login using kerberos on a machine that has no reverse DNS entry defined, we are instead prompted with a password prompt. The password authentication still works but the ticket does not.

From what I read, the Allow PTR Sync option is only used in conjunction with DNS IP address changes and does not apply to the initial join of the domain.

Is the joining process supposed to create reverse DNS entries for the clients or just forward entries and SSHFP entries?