I think it was not having dynamic updates enabled for the reverse zone. I enabled those and PTR sync on both the forward and reverse and now it seems to be working for a new client that I joined.

What I'm not clear on at this point is why that is not a default setting. I know at some point I deleted a /24 reverse zone and made a /16 instead because we have too many /24s to manage efficiently.

Also, due to the issues that can arise from not having valid PTR entries, you would think that this would be defaulted to on.