On 09/23/2015 10:05 PM, Janelle wrote:
> On 9/13/15 11:46 PM, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>> On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Janelle wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I read something recently that if ip v6 is disable on a server this
>>> hurts performance in some way? Is there more info on this or did I
>>> misread it?
>> Do not disable IPv6 stack on your machines. By disabling IPv6 you are
>> not doing good. On contrary, many contemporary software projects are
>> using IPv6-enabled network calls by default because both IPv6 and IPv4
>> share the same name space on the machine so you only need to listen on a
>> IPv6 port to accept both IPv4 and IPv6. This is a recommended approach
>> for networking applications' developers for years already.
>>
>> Note that this means only that support for IPv6 stack is enabled in the
>> kernel. You are not required to go with IPv6 networking addresses, this
>> is not really needed if you don't want to. But allowing applications to
>> be IPv6 aware is required.
>>
>> FreeIPA has several components which are programmed in such way that
>> they expect IPv6 stack to be enabled for reasons outlined above. If you
>> disable IPv6 stack, FreeIPA will partially malfunction and will not
>> really be in a supported state, especially when we are talking about
>> trusts to Active Directory (and, in future, IPA to IPA trust).
>>
> BTW - I did re-enable IPv6 and was able to "clean ruv" all the "dead" entries,
> which I had not been able to do before. Thank you for this.

Hello Janelle,

Thanks for confirmation! I added this knowledge to

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Troubleshooting#Obsolete_RUV_records

as it is definitely not an obvious fix to resolve the RUV issue.

Please feel very welcome to extend Troubleshooting guide if you have other
advise that could help others speed up their RUV investigation - you have
definitely a lot of experience with them.

Thanks!
Martin