On 10/29/2015 12:06 AM, craig.li...@mypenguin.net.au wrote:
Thanks it worked!
For those also intersted in the settings;

Permission: ldap_anonymous
Bind Type Rule: anonymous
Granted Rights: (I used) "read","search","compare"
Subtree: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
Extra target filter: (&(objectclass=Person)(|(uid=*)(givenName=*)))
Target DN: uid=*,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=example,dc=com
Effective Attributes:
gecos, mail, mobile, telephoneNumber, uidNumber

cheers,

Craig

This works. However, the "right way" here would be changing Bind Type Rule of default permission "System: Read User Addressbook Attributes" from "all" (default to new installation of FreeIPA 4.0) to "anonymous". This is the permission that holds extended attributes like this one:

# ipa permission-show 'System: Read User Addressbook Attributes'
  Permission name: System: Read User Addressbook Attributes
  Granted rights: read, compare, search
Effective attributes: audio, businesscategory, carlicense, departmentnumber, destinationindicator, employeenumber, employeetype, facsimiletelephonenumber, homephone, homepostaladdress, inetuserhttpurl, inetuserstatus, internationalisdnnumber, jpegphoto, l, labeleduri, mail, mobile, o, ou, pager, photo, physicaldeliveryofficename, postaladdress, postalcode, postofficebox, preferreddeliverymethod, preferredlanguage, registeredaddress, roomnumber, secretary, seealso, st, street, telephonenumber, teletexterminalidentifier, telexnumber, usercertificate, usersmimecertificate, x121address, x500uniqueidentifier Default attributes: postofficebox, registeredaddress, jpegphoto, physicaldeliveryofficename, homepostaladdress, labeleduri, photo, postalcode, street, x121address, st, telephonenumber, facsimiletelephonenumber, teletexterminalidentifier, usercertificate, mail, internationalisdnnumber, seealso, x500uniqueidentifier, employeetype, businesscategory, preferredlanguage, preferreddeliverymethod, roomnumber, carlicense, telexnumber, postaladdress, pager, destinationindicator, departmentnumber, mobile, inetuserhttpurl, l, o, inetuserstatus, employeenumber, usersmimecertificate, ou, audio, homephone, secretary
  Bind rule type: all
  Subtree: cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=rhel72
  Type: user

This approach will help you avoid extra read permission and keep your permission updated by FreeIPA updated, if needed (when new addressbook attribute is added for example).