On Tue, 24 Nov 2015, Jeffrey Stormshak wrote:
Went after the suggestion and sorry for the length of the sssd.conf,
but I do want to ensure I’m not making the wrong option selection
mistakes.  The same error message is being produced.  Additionally,
this client and IDM server has no integration into AD at this point.
Just trying to get IDM working on the legacy client.

Error and configuration provided below:
[mjsmith@chi-infra-idm-client2 ~]$ passwd
Changing password for user mjsmith.
Enter login(LDAP) password:
New UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
LDAP password information update failed: Insufficient access
Insufficient 'write' privilege to the 'userPassword' attribute of entry
'uid=mjsmith,cn=users,cn=compat,dc=linuxcccis,dc=com'.
passwd: Permission denied
As long as you are trying to change password of a user identified by
LDAP DN under cn=compat,dc=linuxcccis,dc=com, you will fail. Read my
other email in the same thread.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy