On 03.02.2016 01:47, Joshua Ruybal wrote:
Hi All,

I've run into a frustrating issue regarding DNS Dynamic Updating.

In a nutshell:

If I enroll a new client when the forward policy on a dns zone is set to "disabled" I don't have a problem enrolling the client and updating the dns record.

However if the policy of the zone is set to "only" or "first", nsupdate fails during the client install. Install logs says nsupdate: Specified Zone 'example.com <http://example.com>' does not exist (NXDOMAIN).

I'm seeing this in multiple zones, and all I need to change to fix it is to change the forwarding policy. However it's problematic as we start the rollout, since we will need to rely on external dns until we have all servers enrolled.

Client Install Log Snippet:

2016-02-02T22:53:17Z DEBUG args=/usr/bin/nsupdate -g /etc/ipa/.dns_update.txt
  2016-02-02T22:53:17Z DEBUG stdout=
2016-02-02T22:53:17Z DEBUG stderr=specified zone 'dev.example.net <http://dev.example.net>' does not exist (NXDOMAIN) specified zone 'dev.example.net <http://dev.example.net>' does not exist (NXDOMAIN)

Zone Configuration:

  [admin@ipa01 ~]$ ipa dnszone-show --all
  Zone name: dev.example.net <http://dev.example.net>
dn: idnsname=dev.example.net <http://dev.example.net>,cn=dns,dc=example,dc=com
    Zone name: dev.example.net <http://dev.example.net>
    Authoritative nameserver: ipa01
Administrator e-mail address: hostmaster.dev.example.net <http://hostmaster.dev.example.net>.
    SOA serial: 1454447236
    SOA refresh: 3600
    SOA retry: 900
    SOA expire: 1209600
    SOA minimum: 3600
BIND update policy: grant EXAMPLE.COM <http://EXAMPLE.COM> krb5-self * A; grant EXAMPLE.COM <http://EXAMPLE.COM> krb5-self * AAAA; grant EXAMPLE.COM <http://EXAMPLE.COM> krb5-self * SSHFP;
    Active zone: TRUE
    Dynamic update: TRUE
    Allow query: any;
    Allow transfer: none;
    Zone forwarders: 8.8.8.8
    Forward policy: only
    nsrecord: ipa01, ipa02
    objectclass: top, idnsrecord, idnszone

Any ideas on how to remedy this? I'd like to avoid updating records by hand if it can be avoided.

Thanks!
Josh

Hello,

which version of freeIPA do you use?

If version is older than 4.1, then specifying forward policy and forwarders cause that zone work as forwardzone thus, you cannot add host there, because all queries ale forwarded to specified forwarders (8.8.8.8) which does not know zone dev.example.com

If version is 4.1+ then nsupdate should work and it can be bug. However I'm curious why do you need forwarding in master zone, what is the use case?

More details about forwardzones in IPA: http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Forward_zones

IMO you need specify global forwarder to your external DNS server, instead of adding per zone forwarders.

Martin