Please disregard this message. I discovered the answer after the message was sent.

There is a locks file in /etc/dconf/db/distro.d/locks. I edited the /etc/dconf/db/distro.d/10-authconfig and rebooted. It is recognizing the smartcard now.

*Michael Rainey*
NRL 7320
Computer Support Group
Building 1009, Room C156