Christopher Young wrote:
Thanks.  That's good advice and good to know.  I'm going to be trying
to work this into an Ansible role, so having a command listing helps
alot.

That leads to a curious question if anyone has thought about building
an Ansible module(s) for manipulating FreeIPA objects.  I'm going to
do some searching for that.

To close the loop, the dfault cert in IPA clients is stored in an NSS database and NSS doesn't give up its private keys willingly. The only way to get them is to export to a PKCS#12 file using pk12util then extract them using openssl pkcs12.

rob