I recently discovered something that may be a little off in the SSSD Design Docs <https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/wiki/DesignDocs/SmartcardAuthenticationStep1>. When using the certutil command shown below to dump the PEM encoded certificates from the smart card. The output is not the certificate which is being read by the SSSD daemon. ( I hope the terminology is correct.)

* certutil -L -d /etc/pki/nssdb -n 'Certificate Nick-Name' -a | grep -v -- '----' |tr -d '[\n\r]'

*When the command is run I am prompted for my pin and after my pin is entered, what I believe is returned are the private keys on the card.

After conducting some further research and testing, I eventually settled on the following command to extract the correct public keys.
*pkcs15-tool --read-certificate <ID> | grep -v -- '----' | tr -d '[\n\r]'
*

I don't know if this has been noted in the past, but I do feel it is important to mention in either case.

*Thanks,

Michael Rainey*