On Thu, 2016-02-25 at 16:56 +0000, Terry John wrote:
> Thanks for that. From what I've read there is no simple right answer. In 2013
> RedHat itself says to leave ChallengeResponseAuthentication set to no "due to
> security reasons".
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/336773

We'll investigate to see if this is still a concern, given upstream has
it defaulting to yes.
The reason it should be preferred is that it will allow prompting for
multiple factors, something we have in the works and would brek without
this options set to true.
Password changes (when the password is expiring PAM may ask to change
it) also break badly if no ChallengResponseauthentication is used

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York