On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 10:28:22PM -0400, Michael ORourke wrote:
> I have a question regarding AD Integration with FreeIPA (CentOS 7.1/freeipa
> 4.2.0) and Windows Server 2008 R2 with a Functional Level forest of 2008 R2.
> Given a simple scenario of a group in active directory that is mapped to a
> POSIX group in FreeIPA, if a change is made on the AD side such as adding a
> user to an AD group, how long should it take on the FreeIPA side before the
> change would show up?  What would the maximum time it could take before the
> change propagates to a server joined to FreeIPA?  What if a user was logged
> into the server and was waiting on the change (assuming the MS PAC was
> cached by sssd)?  This would be for a simple forest trust with FreeIPA and a
> medium/small AD environment.  Also, assuming that sssd was not restarted
> and/or the cache flushed.
> I'm not looking for exact timing, just some estimates.

By default SSSD has a cache timeout of 5400s aka 1.5h, see then
entry_cache_timeout and following entries in man sssd.conf for details.
In the worst case on a client you have to add the timeout of the client
and the server.

If the user logs in the group memberships are updated unconditionally.
But this won't effect existing session they will always have the same
group memberships as at login time, i.e. the 'id' command will always
return the same list of group-memberships even if 'id username' from a
different session will tell something different. This is a general
UNIX/Linux feature and can be seen with local groups managed in
/etc/groups as well.

Another thing to take care of is the PAC. Since the PAC is part of the
Kerberos ticket it won't change as long as the ticket is valid. E.g. if
you log in from a Window client to an IPA client with putty using GSSAPI
authentication you get a service ticket for the IPA client which
includes the PAC and is stored on the Windows client. If you then change
the group memberships of the user in AD and make sure the IPA client
sees the new groups memberships, e.g. by invalidating the cache on the
client and the server, a fresh login with putty might still show the old
group memberships again, because the PAC in the valid Kerberos ticket is
not refreshed and might force the client to use the group-membership
data from the PAC. In this case you have to call 'klist /purge' on the
Windows client to remove the tickets to get a fresh PAC.

HTH

bye,
Sumit