Hi all,

At our company, we manage several Ubuntu web servers with SSH, and we use ansible scripts to automate some tasks. The web servers are hosted by a VPS hosting provider. Until now, we have always managed the user accounts manually for each server, but this is becoming increasingly cumbersome as we grow. To centralize our identity management, I've been looking into FreeIPA, but having no prior experience with this, I am overwhelmed by complexity.

So the first question: is FreeIPA too complex for what we are trying to accomplish? Should we be looking at a different solution? I do like some of the advanced things we can supposedly do with FreeIPA: single identity for everything (SSH on our servers, our Bitbucket accounts, our Jenkins CI server), but those are currently not hard requirements.

Some technical questions:

We currently manage our TLS certificate manually with a wildcard that we install on each server every year, but we will soon be moving to the automated system provided by Letsencrypt. Does this mean we can disable the Certificate Authority system provided by FreeIPA, or is the CA also required for other things?

We currently manage our DNS entries through the web interface of our hosting provider. When we introduce a new server, we simply clone a special clean 'image' server, change the hostname and add an A and AAAA record to our ISP's DNS settings. How does this interact with the FreeIPA DNS system? Should we disable it, or does it provide advantages?

--
Remco