Hi Jeremy,

> Am 22.04.2016 um 22:40 schrieb Jeremy Utley <jer...@ifuzioncorp.com>:
>
> Hello all!
>
> I'm quite close to reaching the ideal point with our new FreeIPA setup, but
> one thing that is standing in the way is 2FA.  I know FreeIPA has support for
> Google Auth, FreeOTP, and Yubikey.  We'd like to go with Yubikeys over the
> phone-based systems, but a lot of the docs regarding Yubikey seem to either
> be out-dated, or not real clear (at least to me).  So I'd like to ask a few
> questions to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
>
> 1) It looks like the normal setup of a Yubikey is to plug it into a machine
> and run the "ipa otptoken-add-yubikey" command.  This implies that the
> machine that sets up the Yubikey needs to be part of the FreeIPA domain,
> which presents somewhat of a problem for us, as our current IPA setup has no
> desktops, and is in a remote "lights-out" datacenter an hour's drive from our
> office.  I did see a post recently in the archives of someone figuring out
> how to set up a Yubikey via the web interface
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-March/msg00114.html) -
> would this be viable?

Sure, but you shouldn’t use online base32 converters for that. You can use the
yubikey personalization tools and the webinterface/API to enroll yubikeys
manually.

> 2) Does the otptoken-add-yubikey command actually change the programming of
> the Yubikey, or does it simply read it's configuration?  We have some users
> who are already using a Yubikey for personal stuff, and we'd like to allow
> those users to continue to use their existing Yubikey to auth to our IPA
> domain, but if the add command changes the programming of the key, that may
> not be possible without using the second slot, and if users are already using
> the second slot, they are out of luck.

HOTP/TOTP depend on a shared secret between the token and FreeIPA. This needs
to be stored in one of the two slots of the yubikey.

> 3) Does Yubikey auth require talking to the outside world to function?  Our
> IPA setup is within a secure zone, with no direct connectivity to the outside
> world, so if this is necessary, it would be a possible deal-breaker for these.

No, this would only be needed if you would use the factory programmed yubico
key in slot 1, which is not supported by FreeIPA anyway.

David