On 05/28/2016 05:30 AM, Prasun Gera wrote:
> The problem is that I'm not using ipa for dns. dns is handled externally, and
> don't have admin access. I have 1 master and 1 replica, and all the clients
> are
> enrolled with --server=a,--server=b during installation, and I think it works
> perfectly fine. Is it possible to instruct ipa to use some alternative for
> the
> certs ? If it's not possible to list multiple uris, even just the master
> would
> be fine. It would at least work when the master is up, which it doesn't right
> now.

ipa-ca.$DOMAIN OCSP/CRL is currently hardcoded in the Certificate Profiles, you
would need to edit them with different value (which may then make FreeIPA
upgrades funny).

I still think the easiest solution may be to simply request DNS change in your
external DNS and create the ipa-ca DNS record - it is a simple list of IPA CA
server's IP addresses.

> Secondly, I'm a bit confused regarding the dns too. This error is on a client
> system like my laptop, which is an entirely unrelated system from the ipa
> clients. The connection is over the internet. So the dns mapping would have
> be visible globally for my laptop to see it. However, the name of the ipa
> domain
> is not the same the same as the name of domain in the server addresses. (This
> was for some historic reason in NIS, and I didn't change the domain name
> during
> migration). So what ipa is suggesting is something like ipa-ca.abc.com
> <http://ipa-ca.abc.com>, whereas all my servers are like server1.pqr.xyz.com
> <http://server1.pqr.xyz.com>. I don't think it is anyway possible to do this
> right now since I don't control abc.com <http://abc.com>.

This feature uses the primary FreeIPA DNS domain, which is derived from it's
realm. This is the same approach as with AD. If you do not have access to this
DNS domain, I expect you will have trouble if you want to for example start
using AD Trusts which expects working primary DNS domain with proper SRV
records (FreeIPA servers can still live in other domain though).

To summarize, your options seem to be:
* Create ipa-ca DNS record in your primary domain
* Update the main default certificate profile (present in FreeIPA 4.2+)
* Migrate whole FreeIPA deployment to other DNS primary you would control
(pqr.xyz.com) - which is a lot of work but may unblock you in future if you
want to start the mentioned AD trusts.

Martin