On 03/06/16 08:06, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 2.6.2016 18:30, lejeczek wrote:
hi users,

I do (all on IPA server)

$ host 10.5.6.100
Host 100.6.5.10.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

I do:

$ host 10.5.6.17
17.6.5.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ......

I do:

$ ipa dnsrecord-find 5.10.in-addr.arpa
   Record name: @
   NS record: rider.private.dom., swir.private.dom.,
              work5.private.dom.

   Record name: 19.10
   PTR record: work1.private.dom.

   Record name: 23.10
   PTR record: work5.private.dom.

   Record name: 100.6
   PTR record: rider.private.dom.

   Record name: 17.6
   PTR record: dzien.private.dom.

   Record name: 32.6
   PTR record: swir.private.dom.
----------------------------
Number of entries returned 6

dig also find these records.

this is probably why replica fails with:

ipa.ipapython.install.cli.install_tool(Replica): ERROR    Unable to resolve
the IP address 10.5.6.100 to a host name, check /etc/hosts and DNS name
resolution

must be something trivial?
Likely :-) It could have multiple reasons.
E.g. DNS delegation from parent domain could be broken which could cause this
etc.

Please try commands
$ dig -x <IP address> PTR

and

$ dig -x <IP address> SOA

and post their output, preferably without redacting it because the attempt to
hind real names often hide the root cause. I will have a look.
I see, later after first server installation IPA (itself) created: 6.5.10.in-addr.arpa. and that was where PTR record was missing. Is this one of test cases where it brakes? If one uses 5.10.in-addr.arpa class for reverse zone? Is this against any standard?
many thanks Petr