Greetings!

     Everyone seems to say that you can't have a domain trust across two
Kerberos realms (FreeIPA and Active Directory) if the hosts share the same DNS
domain.

     Hadoop seems to do this just fine, though.  I'm in the process of helping
someone setup a trust between the Kerberos realms HADOOP.COMPANY.COM  and
COMPANY.COM and all of the servers use the company.com DNS domain. (see
http://www.cloudera.com/documentation/archive/cdh/4-x/4-5-0/CDH4-Security-Guide/cdh4sg_topic_15.html)

     This seems to be standard practice for setting up hadoop clusters.  Why
wouldn't setting up a one-way trust so that FREEIPA.COMPANY.COM trusts
COMPANY.COM (with all involved servers having the "company.com" DNS domain)?
As I understand it, the Kerberos realm FreeIPA uses can be specified during the
initial setup and it doesn't have to match the domain.

--David Alston