Greetings!

>> 2. Active Directory must never know anything about a DNS domain
>> freeipa.company.com (I'm not sure why)
> Correct because if that happened then AD considers the whole subdomain as
> part of its realm and trust routing will not work.

Doesn't that mean that we have to have the FreeIPA servers on their own DNS
domain again?  So we can't have linux-server.company.com and
windows-server.company.com (managed by FreeIPA and AD respectively) because
there has to be a SOA for .company.com somewhere and that is already managed by
AD (in our environment).

     Also, thanks for your other answers.  They were very helpful :^)

--David Alston