Thank You for the clarification all.

Sean Hogan

From:   Rob Crittenden <rcrit...@redhat.com>
To:     Sean Hogan/Durham/IBM@IBMUS, Peter Fern
            <free...@0xc0dedbad.com>
Cc:     freeipa-users <freeipa-users@redhat.com>
Date:   09/01/2016 06:47 AM
Subject:        Re: [Freeipa-users] IPA port 80

Sean Hogan wrote:
> Thanks Peter,
>

> So the set up is each vlan has an IPA replica within the firewall
> boundary acting as its primary auth/policy server. If it goes down..
> then the clients can reach back thru the firewall to our backup IPAs. So
> I am trying to pinpoint the actual ports required to be open on the
> firewall to allow the clients the ability to get back to the back up
IPAs.

> It comes down to opening ports thru the firewalls back to our IPA backup
> servers. If port 80 is not required for the clients or servers to get to
> IPA behind the firewall then there is no need in opening more ports than
> required and getting 443 open adheres more to our security policy than
> 80. So if everything is redirected to 443 and 80 is not required as it
> is all redirected then the docs I am using are not correct.
>
> I am hoping Simo can weigh in on this

Peter is right about OCSP/CRL. If you don't need them, and don't want a
user-friendly redirect if your users don't specify https then yeah, you
can probably do without port 80, assuming none of your clients REQUIRE
an OCSP response (e.g. security.OCSP.require in Firefox, false by default).

Another, rarely used path for port 80 is retrieval of the CA certificate
when enrolling clients. Normally it is retrieved over authenticated LDAP
but if that fails, and one isn't pre-positioned, it will fall back to
trying to get it over port 80 (last because this isn't exactly safe).

rob