Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
You need to read this:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/IPA_Client_in_Active_Directory_DNS_domain
to understand all limitations and problems.

This is technical description. For higher level, see
http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2016/07/13/i-really-cant-rename-my-hosts/

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciate the fast and useful responses on this list -- the archive has been a huge help along with the RedHat IDM documentation.

My primary use case is SSH login for users with credentials coming from multiple AD Forests so it looks like I'm going down the path of "Option 3 – Use Indirect Integration with IdM" as referenced in the http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2016/07/13/i-really-cant-rename-my-hosts/ blog posting -- seems like we lose quite a bit of Kerberos SSO features but for now I'm OK with that. This is Free-IPA at the moment but will be migrated to RHEL-IDM if successful.

Regards,
Chris