I have this error in the log of my FreeIPA server freeipa-sea.bpt.rocks:

[11/Oct/2016:09:04:39 -0700] NSMMReplicationPlugin -
agmt="cn=masterAgreement1-seattlenfs.bpt.rocks-pki-tomcat"
(seattlenfs:389): The remote replica has a different database generation
ID than the local database.  You may have to reinitialize the remote
replica, or the local replica.

So I did this:

ipa-replica-manage re-initialize --from freeipa-sea.bpt.rocks

on seattlenfs

But the error continues.

I think I know why.  freeipa-sea had a meltdown and I had to rebuild it,
and established it as a replica of seattlenfs.  Unfortunately, I think
seattlenfs was a replica of the original freeipa-sea.

It seems like a bad idea to reinitialize themselves from each other, and
in fact it's warned against here:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Replication-Troubleshooting_Replication_Related_Problems.html

"... Also, M2 should not initialize M1 back. "

But in looking at my bash history I have indeed done that as well.

Is there any way out of this mess?  These two servers actually DO
replicate, most of the time.  They stop for no reason and restarting the
ipa services on freeipa-sea does get them started again.

--

Ian Harding
IT Director