Do you mean that dhcpd on Ubuntu is configured against the very same FreeIPA
server?
yes.  Testing both on VMs with a private network.
Are you sure that dhcpd is using the same credentials to BIND to LDAP? There
might be an access control issue if different hosts use different credentials
or so. It would help if you described how you bound to LDAP using ldapsearch.
Yes.

To make sure, I using the ipa admin credentials.

On both hosts I can do a
    $ ldapsearch -x

and retrieve the ldif info.

running on both:
    $ strace -e trace=network dhcpd -d

I get this line on the Ubuntu host:
    socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 5
    setsockopt(5, SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, [1], 4) = 0
    setsockopt(5, SOL_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, [1], 4) = 0
    connect(5, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(389),
sin_addr=inet_addr("192.168.1.138")}, 16) = 0

On the Fedora host (FreeIPA server), there is no try to connect to.
I thought that it might be trying to use a socket, but still no try even
with an outside IP as host.

There is one difference between Fedora and Ubuntu dhcpds.  On Ubuntu,
there is a separated ldap package to dhcp-server
(isc-dhcp-server-ldap).  On Fedora it is supposedly merged on the same
binary on dhcp-server (dhcp-server-4.3.4-3.fc24.x86_64).

That's why it would be a good start for me to know that someone else
uses dhcpd with ldap on Fedora.

-rsd