On ke, 23 marras 2016, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

Sumit Bose wrote:
NO. It is the other way round.

It is_not_  recommended and will not even work properly to use the same
DNS domain for IPA and AD. Even worse with using the same realm for
both, this cannot work at all.

It is required to have a different realm name for the IPA domain and it
is important to use a different DNS domain as well (a bit is possible
with hosts in the same DNS domain but you loose functionality here).

Where did you find the recommendation to user the same DNS domain and
realm?

Apologies I must have been unclear. What I was trying to say is that
we are going for the "hosts in the different DNS domain" deployment scenario ...

- We have unique domain name and realm for IPA:  company-ipa.org
- We use company-aws.org in AWS and have our own Active Directory servers for: company-aws.org - We want to use ipa-client to bind our servers to company-ipa.org but use DNS names from company-aws.org for operation

Our end goal:
- We have many external AD forests we are linking to company-ipa.org one at a time - End goal: operate hosts with DNS name "company-aws.org" as IPA clients of "company-ipa.org" using AD logins coming from the external trusts
This setup should work with password-based authentication. It will not
work with GSSAPI (Kerberos) authentication. I think this is what you are
aware of and accepted as the limitation.

For the benefit of others, here is the list of articles and
documentation of the topic of mixed DNS domains/hostnames with Active
Directory:

- High-level description:
 http://rhelblog.redhat.com/2016/07/13/i-really-cant-rename-my-hosts/

- Documentation chapter:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Windows_Integration_Guide/index.html#ipa-in-ad-dns

- Technical details:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/IPA_Client_in_Active_Directory_DNS_domain

There is nothing we can do with the Active Directory limitations beyond
these documents.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy