I know the Quick Start Guide and Deployment Recommendations cover this in
depth, but there are still some ambiguities.

I'm trying to figure out if a company like us, lautus.net should use a DNS
subdomain like ipa.lautus.net for the IPA domain, or not.

On the one hand 2.3.1 of the Linux Domain Identity, Authentication, and
Policy Guide says "The integrated DNS server provided by IdM is not
designed to be used as a general-purpose DNS server. It only supports
features related to IdM deployment and maintenance". OK, so lautus.net
should continue to be hosted by DNS servers elsewhere that delegate say,
ipa.lautus.net to FreeIPA.

But on the other hand the same doc is full of examples where a Kerberos
realm like EXAMPLE.COM (instead of IPA.EXAMPLE.COM) is used, i.e example
2.2. of secion 2.3.4. But the same guide also says that the Kerberos realm
should be the same as the ipa DNS domain, just uppercased. So example 2.2.
implies that example.com is running their DNS domain on FreeIPA, for
everything, not just for IPA SRV and TXT entries.

And when ipa-client-install is run on somehost.lautus.net, it also defaults
to LAUTUS.NET for Kerberos domain, as if the default expectation is that
your toplevel company DNS name would be your kerberos domain.

And when I install a trial IPA server on host ipa-server-1.lautus.net using
"ipa-server-install --setup-dns --realm IPA.LAUTUS.NET --domain
ipa.lautus.net --forwarder=8.8.8.8", and then look at the DNS Zones  in the
Web UI, I see not only ipa.lautus.net, but also lautus, with record "@ NS
ipa-server-1.lautus.net". In other words the IPA server defaults to
thinking it owns the domain above ipa.lautus.net too. Which goes against
2.3.1 above.

The docs say I should manually add SRV records to a parent DNS domain like
lautus.net if IPA does not manage that with integrated DNS. But then what's
the point of the integrated DNS, if the docs say the integrated DNS is not
supposed to be used as a general-purpose DNS server? In that case,
everybody is always gonna need to manually add SRV records every time they
add a IPA replication peer anyway, unless they run their company DNS on the
integrated DNS server, which the docs seem to discourage?

--
Pieter Nagel
Lautus Solutions (Pty) Ltd
Building 27, The Woodlands, 20 Woodlands Drive, Woodmead, Gauteng
0832587540
  • ... List dedicated to discussions about use, configuration and deployment of the IPA server.
    • ... freeIPA users list
      • ... Pieter Nagel
        • ... Jacob Evans
      • ... Brian Candler