Thanks Rob.

/etc/krb5.conf.d/  was in fact missing from the client, which is still on
CentOS 7.2 for reasons out of our control.
Other hosts that are CentOS 7.2 running IPA Client 4.2.0 also do not have the
/etc/krb5.conf.d/ directory, but are running fine.  So maybe the 4.4 client
requires that dir but is not making it on upgrade and the cause of the failure?

Alan