On 10 Jan 2017, at 11:58, Adam Bishop <adam.bis...@jisc.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2017, at 09:22, Ludwig Krispenz <lkris...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> this is a hang inside BerkeleyDB and we have so far not been able to resolve
>> it, also with Oracle support. The weird thing is that from the code in BDB
>> this should not be possible, but it is happening. Ther is a suspicion that
>> it could be an effect of VMs, where the wrong page is accessed, but no
>> further evidence on this.
>
> I can confirm we're we are running in a VM (ESXi 6.0), which gives me a few
> ideas. I've migrated our instance to faster storage and to a host
> topologically closer to the storage array to reduce latency.

Touch wood, the reduced storage latency and higher IO throughput has mitigated
the issue. DirSrv has not hung again so far.

Regards,

Adam Bishop

  gpg: E75B 1F92 6407 DFDF 9F1C  BF10 C993 2504 6609 D460

jisc.ac.uk

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by
guarantee which is registered in England under Company No. 5747339, VAT No. GB
197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: One Castlepark, Tower Hill, Bristol,
BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited
by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 2881024, VAT
number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: One Castle Park, Tower Hill,
Bristol BS2 0JA. T 0203 697 5800.