Hi,

I have another question about sssd performance.  I’m having a difficult time
doing a regularly performant ‘ls -l’ operation against /home, a mounted NFS
share of all of our users home directories.  There are 667 entries in this
folder, and all of them have IDs that are resolvable via freeipa/sssd.  We are
using an AD trusted domain.

It is clear to me why an initial invocation of this lookup should take some
time (populating the local ldb cache).   And it does.  Usually around 5-10
minutes, but sometimes longer.  After the initial lookups are complete, the
output of ‘ls -l' renders fine, and I can inspect the local filesystem cache
using ldbsearch and see that it is populated.  The issue is that if I wait a
while, or restart sssd, it appears that I have to go through all of these
lookups again to render the directory listing.

I am trying to find an optimal configuration for sssd.conf that will allow a
performant ‘ls -l’ listing of a directory with a large number of different id
numbers assigned to filesystem objects to always return results immediately
from the local cache (after an initial invocation of this command for any given
directory).  I think basically what I want is to have the ldb cache always
‘up-to-date’, or at least have sssd willing to immediately dump what it has
without having to do a bunch of lookups while blocking the ‘ls -l’ thread.  If
possible, whatever solution implemented should also survive a restart of the
sssd process.  In short, aside from an initial invocation, I never want ‘ls -l’
to take more than a few seconds.

The issue described above is somewhat problematic because it appears to cause
contention on the sssd process effectively allowing a user doing ls -l /home to
inadvertently degrade system performance for another user.

So far I have tried:

1)  Implementing 'enumeration = true' for the [domain] section .  This seems to
have no impact.  It might be worthwhile to note that we are using an AD trusted
domain.
2)  Using the refresh_expired_interval configuration for the [domain] section

I have read the following two documents in a decent level of detail:

https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/performance-tuning-sssd-for-large-ipa-ad-trust-deployments/
https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/anatomy-of-sssd-user-lookup/

It almost seems to me like the answer to this would be to keep the LDB cache
valid indefinitely (step 4 on
https://jhrozek.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/anatomy-of-sssd-user-lookup/).

Presumably this is a problem that somebody has seen before.  Would somebody be
able to advise on the best way to deal with this?  I appreciate your help.

Thank you,

Dan