Hi all,

I think I've gotten to the bottom of this and fortunately it was
misunderstanding on my part rather than an error in either piece of
software. I incorrectly thought the local bind masters were serving up
the DS record from within the child zone when queried, but they were
of course serving up the records from the parent zone. Had I been
delegating the child zone to a different physical server, this would
have been more obvious to me.

I was expecting the external slave to serve up DS records for my
signed zone, but it doesn't because the zone does not contain the DS
records for itself and so they are not transferred via AXFR; and
because the external was not authoritative for the parent zone so
didn't return them from there either. Not being a recursive resolve, I
now realise the external slave will never respond with any DS records
for this zone.

Finally, in my example zone with child delegation, the DS records for
the delegated zone ARE correctly included in the AXFR of the parent
and I was mistaken in thinking they were not. I am not yet replicating
these to the external slave so was basing my understanding of what was
happening based on the AXFR results alone. Had I been able to
replicate these to the slave, I would have spotted my mistake when
getting back DS records from the parent zone.

Thanks for your time and apologies for my confusion!

Ben