Adding freeipa-users back to loop

On 24.02.2017 12:02, Iulian Roman wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Martin Basti <mba...@redhat.com <mailto:mba...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    Hello,

    comments inline

    On 23.02.2017 15:07, Iulian Roman wrote:
    Despite reading the freeipa and Redhat IdM documentation
    regarding the DNS , it is still unclear to me if and when is
    integrated DNS mandatory .  We do have an environment with a
    pretty complex DNS setup , which is in place for years and there
    are no  plans to change it.

    Integrated DNS is not mandatory at all. Without IPA DNS you have
    to manage all IPA system records manually on external DNS

    if i understood correctly from the documentation , integrated DNS
    is mandatory for configuring AD trust. is that correct ?
    No, it is not needed for AD trust, you need to add additional DNS
    records

    Can the integrated DNS be configured as forward only ? Do the
    clients need to have IPA DNS as a resolver or they can just use
    existing DNS server ?
    You don't need to install IPA DNS.

    All records the IPA needs can be received from command `ipa
    dns-update-system-records --dry-run` (IPA4.4+)

there are some SRV records (_kerberos, _kpasswd, _ldap, _ntp) reported by the above command which would not be easy to add them to existing DNS (DNS updates are form based and they allow only A and CNAME records). When and by whom are those records used and what is the consequence of not adding them into existing DNS ?

These are mainly used by ipa-clients (SSSD) with dynamic configuration. However you may configure client to use static configuration (without auto detection of working IPA servers) and it should work. However I'm not sure about DNS records required for AD Trust, who is the consumer, if only SSSD or not.

    Martin