I have created a two way trust between my IDM server and Active Directory. I have been able to successful get RHEL 7.3 IDM server and RHEL 7.3 IDM clients to allow Active Directory login using CAC smart cards into Gnome. I'm using SSSD for the smart card login process instead of authconfig and pkcs11. I'm currently trying to get the same thing working for RHEL 6.9, but I have not been able to get it to work. The latest version of SSSD on RHEL 6.9 is 1.13.3 and from my understanding I need to have at least 1.14.0 for SSSD to handle AD smart card logins. So, I have tried to configure pam_pkcs11.conf file to use the pwent mapper to link the Common Name (CN) to the Active Directory User account. I have created an User ID Override for the AD user and added CN name from the Certificate on the smart card into the GECOS field. I also have added all three certificates from the CAC smart card into the User ID Override.

When I try and log in,  I get this error message in /var/log/secure:
Apr 6 13:21:57 site-lws05 pam: gdm-smartcard: pam_pkcs11(gdm-smartcard:auth): pam_get_pwd() failed: Conversation error Apr 6 13:22:17 site-lws05 pam: gdm-smartcard: pam_pkcs11(gdm-smartcard:auth): find_user() failed: on cert #1 Apr 6 13:22:17 site-lws05 pam: gdm-smartcard: pam_pkcs11(gdm-smartcard:auth): find_user() failed: on cert #2 Apr 6 13:22:17 site-lws05 pam: gdm-smartcard: pam_pkcs11(gdm-smartcard:auth): no valid certificate which meets all requirements found

Here is the some details:
IDM Domain: idm.domain.local
Windows Domain: domain.local
RHEL 7.3 IDM Server: site-idm01.idm.domain.local
RHEL 6.9 IDM Client : site-lws05.idm.domain.local

When I run the getent command on local accounts and IDM accounts I get user details, but when I run the command on AD accounts it doesn't find them. So, I'm wondering if that's why its not finding the CN name in the GECOS field. I'm trying to avoid using the cn_map on the clients, because we have a large amount of users and thats alot of extra work to manage that file. That's why I wanted to use the pwent mapper.
Here is my SSSD config file from the RHEL 6.9 client:
[domain/idm.domain.local]
override_shell = /bin/bash
debug_level = 9
cache_credentials = True
krb5_store_password_if_offline = True
ipa_domain = idm.domain.local
id_provider = ipa
auth_provider = ipa
access_provider = ipa
ipa_hostname = site-lws05.idm.domain.local
chpass_provider = ipa
ipa_server = _srv_, site-idm01.idm.domain.local
ldap_tls_cacert = /etc/ipa/ca.crt
[sssd]
debug_level = 9
services = nss, sudo, pam, ssh, ifp
domains = idm.domain.local
certificate_verification = no_ocsp
ldap_user_certificate = userCertificate;binary
[nss]
debug_level = 9
homedir_substring = /home
[pam]
debug_level = 9
pam_cert_auth = True
[sudo]
debug_level = 9
[autofs]
debug_level = 9
[ssh]
debug_level = 9
[pac]
debug_level = 9
[ifp]
debug_level = 9

Here is my nssswitch file from the RHEL 6.9 client:
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Valid entries include:
#
#       nisplus                 Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis                     Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       db                      Use the local database (.db) files
#       compat                  Use NIS on compat mode
#       hesiod                  Use Hesiod for user lookups
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#
# To use db, put the "db" in front of "files" for entries you want to be
# looked up first in the databases
#
# Example:
#passwd:    db files nisplus nis
#shadow:    db files nisplus nis
#group:     db files nisplus nis
passwd:     files sss
shadow:     files sss
group:      files sss
#hosts:     db files nisplus nis dns
hosts:      files dns
# Example - obey only what nisplus tells us...
#services:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#networks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#protocols:  nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#rpc:        nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#ethers:     nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
#netmasks:   nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
services:   files sss
netgroup:   files sss
publickey:  nisplus
automount:  files sss
aliases:    files nisplus
sudoers: files sss

Here is my system-auth from the RHEL 6.9 client:
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service notin login:gdm:xdm:kdm:xscreensaver:gnome-screensaver:kscreensaver quiet use_uid auth [success=done authinfo_unavail=ignore ignore=ignore default=die] pam_pkcs11.so card_only
auth        sufficient    pam_fprintd.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass
auth        requisite     pam_succeed_if.so uid >= 500 quiet
auth        sufficient    pam_sss.so use_first_pass
auth        required      pam_deny.so
account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_sss.so
account     required      pam_permit.so
password    requisite     pam_cracklib.so try_first_pass retry=3 type=
password sufficient pam_unix.so sha512 shadow nullok try_first_pass use_authtok
password    sufficient    pam_sss.so use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so
session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so
session     optional      pam_oddjob_mkhomedir.so umask=0077
session [success=1 default=ignore] pam_succeed_if.so service in crond quiet use_uid
session     required      pam_unix.so
session     optional      pam_sss.so

Here is my password-auth from the RHEL 6.9 client:
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
[...]

Here is my smartcard-auth from the RHEL 6.9 client:
#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth [success=done ignore=ignore default=die] pam_pkcs11.so wait_for_card card_only
auth        required      pam_deny.so
account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_localuser.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     [default=bad success=ok user_unknown=ignore] pam_sss.so
account     required      pam_permit.so
password    required      pam_pkcs11.so