On 12.04.2017 23:06, Jeremy Utley wrote:
Hello all! We've got 2 replicated instances of FreeIPA 4.4.0 from the EPEL repository running on fully-updated CentOS 7 instances. We're going thru an audit right now, and I have to provide some proof of certain things related to IPA to our auditors. Unfortunately, the person who originally set these up evidently did not document the Directory Manager password in our docs, so I was forced to reset this password, using the process at:

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/howto/howto-resetdirmgrpassword.html

This was successful, and I can now bind to the DS with the new password. I'm now trying to follow the steps at:

https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Change_Directory_Manager_Password

A few things are rather confusing to me. I've tried Google searching without much luck either. So hopefully you guys can answer a few questions for me.

1) First off, the doc says:

The following procedure is only applicable to FreeIPA 3.2.1 or older. Since FreeIPA 3.2.2 (and ticket #3594 <https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3594>), the procedure is automated as a part of preparing a replica info file by using ipa-replica-prepare

So do I even need to perform these steps at all, considering I'm well beyond 3.2.2. We don't have any intention of running ipa-replica-prepare for the forseeable future (we shouldn't ever need to add a third directory server here).

2) The first step (Update LDAP bind password) seems to indicate you're adding the new password in clear-text to the password.conf file - this seems like a major security issue. Am I misunderstanding what is being requested here? The old password is not in this file (All my current files have is lines for "internal" and "replicationdb"

3) The next step regenerates the cacert.p12 file, but seems to do nothing with it, just leaves it sitting in /root - what should be done with this file afterward?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jeremy Utley

Hello,

you have to follow only this howto http://directory.fedoraproject.org/docs/389ds/howto/howto-resetdirmgrpassword.html

The PKI parts are relevant only for old IPA servers, so with newer versions there is no need to manually update pki servers.

Martin

--
Martin Bašti
Software Engineer