IPA servers always check if DNSSEC is working on forwarders, but it is just warning. If you have disabled dnssec in named.conf then it is okay.

I'm not sure why sometimes you see this warning and sometimes don't, maybe inconsistent replies from forwarder.

domain ".internal" should always fail because it is unregistered TLD

Martin

On 19.04.2017 15:11, Dan Dietterich wrote:

My configuration is a single ipa server and both the code path and the bash prompt path are running on the node that is also running the ipa server. I thought that since FreeIPA was installed with --no-dnssec-validation that I should never see this warning. And I confirmed that both dnssec-enabled and dnssec-validation are set to 'no' in the /etc/named.conf.

So I'm confused that you say the DNSSEC should always fail.

Thanks for your help!

*From: *Martin Bašti <mba...@redhat.com>
*Date: *Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 3:59 AM
*To: *Dan Dietterich <d...@cazena.com>, "freeipa-users@redhat.com" <freeipa-users@redhat.com> *Subject: *Re: [Freeipa-users] DNSSEC warning when DNSSEC should be disabled

On 13.04.2017 22:50, Dan Dietterich wrote:

    I am seeing inconsistent results configuring a DNS forward zone.

    At a bash prompt, as root, after kinit admin, I do:

    ipa dnsforwardzone-add domain.internal  --forwarder= ww.xx.yy.zz
    --forward-policy=only

    That works fine and does not warn about DNSSEC.

    In a Java webapp running as root under a Jetty, I run a shell
    sub-process and issue the kinit and the same ipa statement.

    _/Sometimes/_, I get

    ipa: WARNING: DNSSEC validation failed: record 'domain.internal.
    SOA' failed DNSSEC validation on server ww.xx.yy.zz.

    Please verify your DNSSEC configuration or disable DNSSEC
    validation on all IPA servers.

    I modified the /etc/named.conf file to say:

    dnssec-enable no;

    dnssec-validation no;

    and systemctl restart ipa

    Any clue why the results are different?

    ipa –version: VERSION: 4.4.0, API_VERSION: 2.213

    Linux … 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 00:04:05 UTC
    2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    Thanks for any insight!

    Regards,

    Dan

Hello,

checks are done on IPA server side, how many servers do you have? Is possible that CLI connects to different servers.

However in this case, DNSSEC check should always fail and report error, so it is weird why it passed.

Martin

--
Martin Bašti
Software Engineer