libtevent-dev and libtevent0 (0.9.5~20090516-1) are available in karmic.

** Changed in: samba4 (Ubuntu)

--
tevent packaging problems in samba4
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/372399

Status in “samba4” source package in Ubuntu: Fix Released

Bug description:
Library's headers for "tevent" are included with samba 4 but there is no
pkg-config file included.
When trying to compile against this library autoconf does not find and use it.

I attach a pkg-config content of a "/usr/lib/pkgconfig/tevent.pc" for the files
included as they are located now:
/usr/include/samba-4.0/tevent_internal.h
/usr/include/samba-4.0/tevent.h

May I also suggest to produce a libtevent and libtevent-dev package separate
from samba4-dev?

System: Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
Package version dor samba4-dev: 4.0.0~alpha6-1ubuntu1

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/tevent.pc:
####
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}