Hi,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM, Kai-Cheung
Leung<kcle...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Actually, 389 *is* part of the FreeIPA and the FreeIPA team (which I
> am an admin of)  has also decided to get 389 in first, then include
> other parts of the FreeIPA so that Ubuntu can have the full FreeIPA
> system.
>
> Our long term goal is to have the full FreeIPA implementation in
> Ubuntu, and therefore as a first step, we now include 389 directory
> server in Karmic.

I agree that having the FreeIPA project part of Ubuntu would be a
great step forward. There are multiple components from the FreeIPA
project and 389 Directory is only one of them. As there is already a
similar component available from the Ubuntu archive I'm not convinced
that packaging 389 Directory is the quickest way to get the
functionality of FreeIPA in Ubuntu.

IMO the most useful components of FreeIPA are the new client daemon
(SSSD) and the admin tools: xmlrpc server and the web interface based
on turbogears. These don't have similar components in the archive and
provide the glue for the Directory, Kerberos and Dns server.

Has anyone tried to load the default FreeIPA DIT in openldap, setup
the MIT krb5 package to connect to openldap and experiment with the
admin tools?

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer  http://www.ubuntu.com