Timo & Stephen,

yes, but not when you have Recommends turned off, which is quite usual on
servers in datacenter environments.
So, I have a debootstrap / minimal  installation for our servers. Recommends
are turned off for apt-get/aptitude.

libdbus-1-3 gets installed, but only recommends  the dbus package, which
includes the dbus service for upstart, but freeipa-client/ipa-client-
install has a call for service dbus start.

dbus, will not be installed, when recommends are turned off, so all calls are
failing and freeipa-client/ipa-client-install will just fail.
Even certmonger needs the dbus service started, but when Recommends are turned
off, even that will fail.

So, eventually freeipa-client needs a direct binary dep for dbus (the
package), or it needs to be changed from Recommends to Depends somewhere
else.

>From a packagers perspective, I understand that the dbus package itself is not
>needed for libdbus-1-3 being installed.
But for freeipa-client package it's a direct dependency, So, eventually we need
to add this dep to sssd/certmonger or to freeipa-client ( i'm in favor of
adding this dep to sssd & certmonger)

I know that this configuration (Recommends being turned off) is not the
default config for Ubuntu and Debian, but from a sysadmin perspective,
Recommends are pulling in a lot of not needed packages, (Just think of
open-vm-tools, with Recommends turned on, it will pull in a lot of X
packages, you actually don't need on a server VM) that's why they are
most of the time turned off.

Regards,

\sh

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of FreeIPA,
which is subscribed to freeipa in Ubuntu.

Title:
  dbus is not installed during freeipa-client installation on Ubuntu
  Server

Status in “freeipa” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete

Bug description:
  Dear Colleagues,

  the package 'dbus' is missing during package installation of freeipa-client
package.
  Even when 'libdbus-1-3' is a binary dep of certmonger package, and
libdbus-1-3 refers to the dbus package as recommended binary dep, it won't be
installed by default.

  Without the dbus message, the execution of ipa-client-install will
  fail.

  We should make the dbus package as direct binary dep of freeipa-client
  package.

  Regards,
  \sh