Hmmm.  I didn't know that.  So in this case the SuperMicro BIOS has opened
a proprietary conduit via the IPMI firmware.  And the commands are then
passed via IPMI LAN to the BIOS (in main memory) which has access to the
data and responds.  I guess the elaborate key mechanism is more for
licensing than for security.