Hi Brian,

On Fri, 2016-01-08 at 09:22 -0500, Brian LaFlamme wrote:
> For the over-LAN issue, I cannot ipmiping node1, but I can ipmiping
> node2.  This is the same flat network with no firewalls or other
> devices in between.  Also, for both nodes, the web system management
> console works just fine.

The web console is independent of IPMI.  It's possible that IPMI over
LAN isn't enabled on your motherboard.  Once the inband issue is
resolved, you can take a look into the bmc-config output to see if
anything looks wrong.

Some Dell motherboards also require some configuration in the BIOS.  You
may want to take a look in there.  Also, on motherboards with multiple
NICs, often ethernet has to be plugged into the right NIC(s).

> root@tru:/var/log/munin# ipmiping node1ipmi
> ipmiping node1ipmi (192.168.1.66)
> response timed out: rq_seq=42
> response timed out: rq_seq=43
> ^C--- ipmiping node1ipmi statistics ---
> 3 requests transmitted, 0 responses received in time, 100.0% packet
> loss
> You have new mail in /var/mail/root
> root@tru:/var/log/munin# ipmiping node2ipmi
> ipmiping node2ipmi (192.168.1.88)
> response received from 192.168.1.88: rq_seq=17
> response received from 192.168.1.88: rq_seq=18
> response received from 192.168.1.88: rq_seq=19
> ^C--- ipmiping node2ipmi statistics ---
> 3 requests transmitted, 3 responses received in time, 0.0% packet loss
>

> For the inband issue, it appears that I do have local kernel support
> on node1:
>

> root@publican:/etc# ps aux | grep ipmi
> root         237  0.1  0.0      0     0 ?        SN   Jan06   4:41
> [kipmi0]
>

> And this appears to be built directly into the kernel.  I found no
> modules associated with ipmi.  From the link you set, it looks like
> adding should work, right?
>

> ipmi_si.force_kipmid=0

Looks like that would work.  The staff at my company just solved this by
starting/creating the /dev/ipmi0 device.

Al