At 09:27 AM 9/10/2001 -0600, Scott Miller wrote:
>Hello all, I have recently subscribed to this group, and have been reading
>and following the threads that have come in the past few days or so.  We are
>thinking about bringing our radius servers in-house (currrently outsourced)
>and have a couple questions, if someone doesn't mind answering them.
>
>1.  Will FreeRadius log accumulated minutes of use per user, and stick them
>in a file somewhere for monthly downloading?

No, you'll need to use a log-parser, or better yet, store in an SQL table
and then you can generate all kinds of reports/outputs to analyze your
data.

>2.  I have not looked at the front end or the GUI of FreeRadius yet, but is
>it fairly simple to add/remove customers/users at will?

There is no GUI to FreeRADIUS.  It is configured via simple plain text
files.  Depending on your method for authenticating users ( from system
passwords, SQL, LDAP, others ) there are numerous ways to manage users,
but that is outside the scope of the Radius server.

>3.  Do I need anything like MySQL installed on the server I plan on using,
>or is FreeRadius basically self-contained?

For plain-text files, it is self contained.  If you want to use SQL or
LDAP or something else, you'll need to have that installed, but none of
those are *required* to make FreeRADIUS run.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker    -    Manager, Development Engineering
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    | @   @ |    \   http://www.starnetwx.net \      (847) 963-0116
                   \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html