Hi Mathieu, I'm not an expert but I had the same problem.
You need upgrade freeradius to new version too.
The sqlcounters in your version only reply SessionTimeout, whit new version you can reply wathever you want. You need download de source new version from ftp://ftp.freeradius.org/pub/radius/freeradius-1.1.5.tar.gz
after is better if you make a package for Debian and install it.

With new version you can do something like this.

sqlcounter totaloctets {
       counter-name = Octets-Total-Limits
       check-name = Max-Total-Octets
reply-name = ChilliSpot-Max-Total-Octets (or the attribute that your NAS know for that)
       sqlmod-inst = sql
       key = User-Name
       reset = never
query = "SELECT SUM(AcctOutputOctets+AcctInputOctets) FROM radacct WHERE UserName='%{%k}'"
}
Remember when you compile your new freeradius include experimental counters. I'm not sure in this versions that is necessary but work for me.

If you don´t know how make a .deb for your debian tell me I can explain howto.

Fabián Omar Franzotti