Hello!

I found that newer versions of freerdp 2 are performing slightly slower
than older. The usablility is not much, but noticeably worser. This
prevents me from moving to fresh versions of freerdp.

The "slowness" is observed, for example, when large portion of screen is
redrawed - in newer version this is done in quick waves from up to down,
while in old version you can't notice that waves.

I know about /gdi:hw and and using it. The performance is much better than
with /gdi:sw option, but is still noticeably slower compared to older
versions of freerdp version 2 (see below for details).

Maybe someone have a clue what may be the cause of it? May be I missed some
command-line options that tweaks behaviour. Don't sure if I should make a
bugreport on this.

I suggest that somewhere since April 2018 (or later) there was a change
that lead to problem.

For example, the version as of 2018-04-05 is ok (it comes with Ubuntu
package freerdp-x11
2.0.0~git201804050820-0+remmina201804082033.ra9ecd6a.d9be5820~ubuntu16.04.1).

And new version, for example of 2019-08-23, operates more slowly (Ubuntu
package freerdp*2*-x11
2.0.0~git201908231057-0+remmina201908270727.r96aeb85.d52a02f4~ubuntu16.04.1)

I'm not sure when the problem first appeared, I know only that it has been
for a while (I've seen the problem a few months ago at least). For a while
I hoped that problem will find and fix itself, but now I'm sure it will not
:-)

Here are some details on my usage scenario:
I am using freerdp on self-made thin clients based on Ubuntu. There are
about 800 clients in organization. The session hosts are mostly Windows
2012 R2 with updates installed.
The problem persist on different client platforms - AMD and Intel; on
different CPUs: Intel Atom and Celeron, Core i3/i5, and AMD Ryzen; on
different Ubuntu versions - 16.04 (mainstream for this time) and 18.04.
The problem is not network-related - it is observed in LAN and only change
of freerdp version needed to reproduce problem.
I run freerdp with flags: xfreerdp /load-balance-info:tsv://xxx /v:xxx
/cert-ignore /f +fonts /smartcard /gdi:hw /sound:sys:alsa /d:xxx /u:xxx

The use of /gfx-h264 option improves situation, but I also have some legacy
Windows servers. And anyway that would be great to find the real cause of
problem, not just workaround.

I think I can make a slow-mo video that shows the difference, but that
would be some headache for me, so at first I'm just asking :)

With a hope for any help or advice,

--
Nikita.