Hi Daniel.

> i'm currently applying mri_cvs_register and I'm very happy with the nice
> results. Congratulation for this very clever approach. However, some data
> sets which I work on have still aseg.mgz which are not segmented
> appropriately. As far as I understand aseg.mgz is not redefined after e.g.
> pial-edits or added control points. Thus, I think it might be better to use
> aparc+aseg or wmparc instead of aseg within mri_cvs_register. Taking this
> into account I have the following questions:
>
> 1. Do you have experience with mri_cvs_register and --asegfname  Option
> different from aseg? Does it impact the processing time? Are there options,
> which have to be adopted?

I only minimally experimented with this option, alowing users to use
segmentation files that are edited or modified from the default version.
processing time and registration options might change with a new file, but
that will depend on thenature of the new file that you want to use. I
belive that if you use either of the files that you mentioned above
neither of those will (need to) change.

> 2. Since I think it is better to use aseg instead of wmparc, since it
> contains fewer IDs and registration will not be overfitted, is there a
> convenient way to generate a new aseg.mgz, which includes manual corrections
> like pial edits?

If you make manual edits to the aseg.mgz file you can always save it under
a different name and use the --asegfname option to indictae the new input
to mri_cvs_register. For manual editing we recommend using Freeview and on
the below page you may find useful advice
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeviewGuide/FreeviewWorkingWithData/FreeviewSegmentations

> 3. The last question regards the norm.mgz ... since it also often contains to
> much (outer brain) volume .. would it be better to mask norm.mgz with (e.g.)
> wmparc or a dilated version of wmparc before using it with mri_cvs_register ?

That never caused a problem for me, and the answer in your case will
depend on the amount of error that exists in your datasets. If you
do decide to use a mask though, you should do that consistently on all
of your data sets.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lilla