Gordon Xu who helped us set up the protocol reminded me of the following:

"The main benefit of the readout PF is to reduce echo spacing, hence less
blurring in the slice direction. The side benefit is that it also reduces
the minimum TE, hence less dropout. However, you do give up some SNR at
the high spatial frequency as Souheil mentioned. There are two senarios of
this, a) the SNR is adequate, you only lose some SNR due to less sampling,
b) if the SNR is borderline or worse, in addition to losing SNR you also
lose some spatial resolution in the readout direction as the other side of
the high spatial frequency k-space is less reliable.

I remember we did pilot acquisition with and without "asymmetric echo" in
two subjects. You looked at the images and you either liked the one with
asymmetric echo because of less blurring or at least indifferent between
the two. So I assume with the Siemens 32ch coil we are in senario a)
above."

If I had to guess, we probably went with the readout partial fourier to
reduce the dropout regions in the gradient echo MPRAGE and didn't see an
obvious loss in resolution.

Peace,

Matt.