I was afraid this was the case. Normally in this situation I would say
set up a shared folder between the host and the virtual machines. But
unfortunately there is a known bug in the the MNI tools shipped with
freesurfer which makes this an incompatible arrangement.

The disk space was assigned to allow perhaps a few subjects worth of
data onto the virtual image, otherwise the download size would have been
prohibitively large. If you want to process numerous subjects the
VirtualBox version is insuffiecient, you will have to use the Mac or
Linux version.