What version of perl are you using?

   $> perl --version

If its perl 5.20 (or maybe 5.22) than the error you are encountering is
because because that version of perl is incompatible with the MNI tools
shipped with the version of freesurfer you are using.

The easiest way to remedy the situation is to download and install the
development version of freesurfer which fixes this issue and will be
included in the upcoming 6.0 release (see "Development Version"):

   https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/DownloadAndInstall

-Zeke