Hello Jean-Simon,

If indeed you are running the same subject on the same machine, then the
reason its failing has to be because of an update to perl. It's possible
your Linux update also updated the version of perl, even if only a minor
verion update, and this is what created the issue. You have two
solutions to using for using freesurfer at this point...

1) Update your version of freesurfer to the v6-beta release which fixes
the issue (the official v6 should be released in just a matter of 1-2).

2) Install perlbrew and use that to install perl version 5.20.3

      $> sudo apt-get install perlbrew
      $> perlbrew install perl-5.20.3

You then must change the first line of any mni script that fails (their
should only be a few) to point to the perl v5.20 instead of the default.
So for example, the first line of $FREESURFER_HOME/mni/bin/nu_correct
should be changed from:

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
to:
      #!~/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.20.3/bin/perl -w

You may need to do this with a couple of the MNI scripts. I know this is
not an ideal solution but it is the only way I know of to get
freesurfer5.3 working on platforms with perl 5.22

-Zeke