Dear FreeSurfer development team,

I have received Reviewer comments from a manuscript I recently submitted
based on results from FreeSurfer (beta version) output. The focus of the
study is the hippocampal tail. Whilst one Reviewer likes it, the other has
asked a number of questions regarding the segmentation validity.
Specifically, the Reviewer refers to Schoemaker D,  et al (2016)
Hippocampus and amygdala volumes from magnetic resonance images in
children: Assessing accuracy of FreeSurfer and FSL against manual
segmentation. Neuroimage. 2016 Apr 1;129:1-14. The Reviewer has also stated
that the authors of the FreeSurfer software “have never provided detailed
volumetric protocol for hippocampal volume segmentation or its
subregions/subfields. For instance, I am not sure how they separate the
hippocampal tail from the hippocampal body or amygdala from hippocampus.
Therefore, it is not clear how the segmentation of those brain structures
is done.” The Reviewer then goes on to state that “Fimbria is so small
compared to the resolution used in this study in order to be measured
separately on conventional T1 images (See see Frisoni et al., 2015 or
Boccheta M et al., 2015 EADC-ADNI protocol). Molecular layer is not even
visible on T1 images (please provide the MRI images when it can be seen and
quantified on T1 MRI images). The entire stratum lacunosum-moleculare is
less then 0.6 mm thick so I do not know how the FreeSurfer can split it in
half with the resolution of 1mm and measure it separately from CA…”.

Can you please suggest how I should respond to these Reviewer questions?

Regards,

Jerome Maller

--

*Dr Jerome J Maller   BSc,GradDipPsych,MSc,PhD*

Neuroscientist

Adjunct Senior Research Fellow

*Monash Alfred Psychiatry Research Centre (MAPrc)*

*Central Clinical School, Monash University and Alfred Hospital*

*4th Floor, 607 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne VIC*

Adjunct Associate Professor

*Centre for Research on Ageing, Health and Wellbeing, Research School of
Population Health, ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment at the
Australian National University.*

*T: +61 3 9076 2404*

*F: +61 3 9076 6588*

*M: +61 419 221 454*