Hi Fred

we usually use mri_vol2surf for this kind of thing. Did you reconstruct surfaces from that subject?

cheers
Bruce
On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Frederick Barrett wrote:

Greetings all,

I apologize in advance for what may (or may not) be a basic question. I want to
map values from a continuous
variable (non-integer) to each vertex on a surface so that I can visualize
these values on the surface (or an
inflated brain), but I can't figure out how to do this.

I've projected the pial surface of fsaverage5 to native space within a
volunteer, then exported the xyz
coordinates of each vertex (10242 * 2, lh & rh) for that volunteer to an .asc
file using mris_convert. These
xyz coordinates (and the vertex #) and a 3D summary volume (NIfTI) for a BOLD
scan in native space for the
subject were read into MATLAB, and I've used a separate toolbox in Matlab to
generate weights from the BOLD
data that map to each vertex (a continuous variable, one weight per vertex per
subject), and these weights
can be written to a text file in the following format for each hemisphere:

x1 y1  z1 weight1

x2 y2 z2 weight2

x10242 y10242 z10242 weight10242

or

vertex1 weight1

vertex2 weight2

vertex10242 weight10242

or another format if that would be helpful.

How can I map these weights back to a surface and visualize it? Please advise.
I began to think this fell
into the realm of annotation, but it seems that annotations are categorial
rather than continuous. Thank you
so much for your time.

Best,

Fred

Frederick Barrett, Ph.D

Assistant Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences

Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit

Johns Hopkins School of Medicine

5510 Nathan Shock Dr / Rm 3048

Baltimore, MD 21224

Voice/mail: (410) 550-9777

Email: fbarr...@jhmi.edu | frederick.barr...@gmail.com

NCBI: https://goo.gl/mUKEZm

Google Scholar: MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from
"scholar.google.com" claiming to be
http://goo.gl/vjrrsl